June 27, 2007

OC firework bans

Q. How do I find out if fireworks are banned in my city?

A. Currently, the only Orange County cities that allow the sale and use of fireworks are Santa Ana, Stanton, Costa Mesa, Garden Grove and Buena Park, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Stephen Miller.

"Most cities have banned them due to injuries and mayhem it causes," Miller said.

You can only sell, use and be in possession of fireworks inside those cities. It's illegal to take fireworks outside the designated areas in the county even if you don't use them.

Also, it may be a good idea to find out what city you really live in, Miller said. For example, if you live in the North Tustin area, you may have a mailing address of Santa Ana but actually live in an unincorporated part of the county. So you could be fined if caught in possession of fireworks because you live outside the city proper, Miller said.

Miller encourages people to attend firework displays instead. You can find your nearest display at www.ocfa.org or call 714-573-6225. To report illegal fireworks, call 714-538-3501.

No comments: